Importance of Carbohydrates and its Health BenefitsIt is an undeniable fact that the popularity of proteins is creating quite a lot of confusion regarding the consumption of carbohydrates. You will also come across people who will keep telling you that eating carbohydrates can lead to weight gain, but that’s not completely true. Not all carbohydrates are bad for you, especially if you eat healthy carbohydrates as they play a vital role in optimizing your overall health.
Why Carbohydrates are important in a diet?Carbohydrates are chemical compound that contains hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon. It is in fact the primary source of fuel for energy in your body. When consumed in the right amount, carbs avoid many health problems like dehydration, boost energy level, maintains stamina as well as allows greater recovery and well-being. Not only this, it also offers you many essential nutrients that prevent muscle breakdown.
Here we are providing some of the mind blowing benefits of Carbohydrates for Health, Hair as well as Skin:
Health Benefits of Carbohydrates
1. Provide Better Cognitive Abilities-Fat and carbohydrates are not as bad as we think, in fact, carbs are the healthy addition to your diet. Healthy fats are great for boosting brain function and for regulating hormones. Low carb diet can also help you promote more healthy fats in the body.
2. Prevent Metabolic Syndrome and Heart Diseases-When you consume carbohydrates in the right amount, it helps your body to prevent certain metabolic and heart disease risk factors.
3. Helps in treating Type II Diabetes-Carbohydrates are very important for preventing the risk of Type II diabetes. Healthy carbs also shows improvement in the dyslipidemia of diabetes as well as metabolic syndrome.
4. Fights Cancer-Some researches and studies on carbs has shown that low carb diet or healthy carbs prevents the risk of cancer and helps in treating the disease too. So always go for low carb diet in order to protect your body from severe diseases.
5. Aids Better Digestion-Having a fiber rich diet can also help you prevent digestive disorders like infrequent bowel movements, constipation and indigestion. The carb rich diet also speeds up your digestive process and helps pushing the food along the digestive tract.
6. Control hunger pangs-When you go for low carb diet, your body controls the hungry hormone called ghrelin that help you prevent your untimely food cravings. But what you need to remember is that overconsumption of carbohydrates also leads to weight gain, so in order to lose weight, you must go for low carb diet.
7. Offers Better Hormone Regulation-When consumed in the right amount, carbs do wonders in controlling insulin and appetite hormone. Low carb diet also helps in balancing neurotransmitter function in some people, which in turn elevate moods and regulates hormones.
8. Elevates Mood-Carbohydrates are the best way to elevate the mood. Consumption of Carbohydrates also helps in stimulating the production of serotonin hormone, which promotes the feel good feeling inside the body. Right consumption of carbohydrates also prevents the signs of depression and anxiety and boost the mood by keeping the stress away.
9. Reduce foul breath-Not many people know this, when you do not consume an adequate amount of carbohydrates, Ketosis is developed due to the production of higher amounts of ketones in the body, which makes your blood more acidic. This in turn causes headache, foul smelling and dry mouth. Whereas sufficient level of carbs regulates the amount of ketones and prevent foul breath.
10. Prevent Blood Clots-Carbohydrates are a rich source of dietary fiber, which does not only help you lose weight, but also prevents the occurrence of blood clotting. Fiber rich carbohydrate diet also helps you prevent the formation of accumulated fat and cholesterol in the body. So always make sure, you consume adequate amount of carbohydrates in the diet to prevent the formation of blood clots.
11. Beneficial for Athelete-Carbohydrates possess many such properties that boost endurance, energy levels as well as physical stamina. It is also highly beneficial in stimulating the activity of central nervous system in the brain, which offers better focus and concentration in athletes.
Benefits of Carbohydrates of Skin
1. Provide Healthy Skin-Foods rich in carbohydrates are undoubtedly the best food to consume for healthier skin. Fiber rich diet is also highly effective in getting rid of harmful toxins, chemicals as well as substances in the body. Carbohydrates also help in purifying blood which promotes healthy and gorgeous looking skin.
2. Fights Free Radical-This might surprise you, but carbohydrates contain many essential minerals and nutrients that provides tremendous benefits to your health as well as skin. Having enough carbohydrates in the body also helps in fighting free radical which in turn prevents aging and provide smooth and healthy skin.
3. Offers Glowing Skin-As most of the carbohydrate rich food helps in releasing a good amount of antioxidants, it also helps your body to fight against free radicals and offers glowing and youthful skin.
Benefits of Carbohydrates for Hair
1. Boost Hair Growth-Nutritional deficiencies can cause damage to your hair and can lead to problems like dryness, brittleness etc. But right consumption of carbohydrates promotes Hair growth and also protect your hair from several damages.
2. Strengthens Hair-Carbohydrates are very essential to improve hair texture as well as to strengthen hair. So include foods like oatmeal, brown rice, yams, sweet potatoes, and many other foods that are rich in carbohydrates to get stronger hair naturally.
Now that you know the numerous health benefits of Carbohydrates, you must consume carbs in balanced amount to gain its benefits. In case you are wondering, what amount of carbs you should consume, then here is what you need to know.
According to dietary guidelines for Americans, the daily calorie intake for healthy body should be:
For women- It should be about 1,600 to 2,400 calories per day.
For men- It should be about 2,000 to 3,000 calories per day.
So always try to intake healthy carbohydrates and eat fresh fruits, vegetables and grains, rather than refined carbohydrates present in cookies, cake, and carbonated drinks. Just remember to get a healthy body, you must eat healthy.