Did you hear about Galangal? If you don’t then we are here to tell what Galangal is. Belonging to genus Alpinia it is a herb which comes from the ginger family. This herb has a lot of culinary usage in South- East Asia and hence it can be easily available in this region. It is most preferably used as a spice to add flavor to the food products. Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia are the main regions of its abundance. Traditionally Galangal herb has been used in all possible forms. The Galangal seeds, its oil and other forms are recommended as an herbal medicine for ages. Due to high medicinal properties, this herb is used as a medicine in the Middle-East and as well as in India. Europe and various other continents are now importing Galangal due to its high demand because of its flavor and amazing medicinal properties. Internationally there are four different types of galangal are available in the markets. These are greater galangal, sand ginger, Chinese galangal, and lesser galangal.
In English it is called as Galangal, it is commonly known as Kulanjan in Hindi, in Tamil they call it Sangandam Tittiram, in Telugu it is known as Peddumaparashtram, in Kannada it is known as Sugandha Vachi.
It has anti-inflammatory properties and hence is an useful remedy for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It is also a good source of ant-oxidants means it assures the removal of toxins which is good for your skin and blood. It is good for the cure of diarrhea and a rich source of iron, flavanoids, sodium, vitamins A and C and various phytonutrients.
Health Benefits of Galangal:
1. Prevent from tumor and cancer
Galangal contains various antioxidants which help to minimize the damage caused by free radicals and other toxins. Studies have shown that galangal extract contains important anti-cancer properties. It is an effective medicine for the people who are suffering breast and lung cancer.
2. Protect the body from cold
We will recommend the consumption and external application of galangal powder as it effectively reduces coldness due to circulatory failure and hypercspiration.
3. Prevent inflammatory and Arthritis
Studies have shown that Galangal contains gingerols which are anti-inflammatory substances. These gingerols can be beneficial if you are dealing with the symptoms of arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
4. Relieves Discomfort which caused by digestive problem
Galangal is a great source of dietary fiber and phytochemicals which help to increase the food mixing process inside the stomach. Consuming galangal in your diet can give a comfortable feeling to anyone who is suffering from the ulcer. It is further useful to prevent abdominal pain and anorexia.
5. Get rid of sea and morning sickness
Chewing of galangal flesh is useful to cure motion sickness. It is the aromatic oil in galangal which can stimulate and calm the nervous system. It is both useful for the pregnant woman who often experiences problems like morning sickness. For this, it is advised to drink brewed galangal slices with honey mixed well in warm water.
6. Cure for Diarrhea
Galangal has antibacterial properties which can kill the pathogen bacteria and are good for the cure of diarrhea.
7. Relieve from cough and sore throat
As mentioned earlier, Galangal consumption is useful in many respiratory problems and is highly recommended for children who are suffering from whooping coughs.
8. Strengthens Immune System
Galangal consumption is good for a healthy immune system and the latest studies claim that it contains Anti-HIV properties too.
9. Reduces blood sugar level
Galangal and its extract consumption is a natural tonic if you are diabetic and want a significant decrease in your blood sugar level.
10. Lowering Blood lipid and cholesterol
According to the latest studies conducted in China reported that galangal extract can potently inhibit fatty acid synthase. Galangal contains flavonoid which is supposed to inhibit the mechanism of fat synthesis. Also, the researchers of Korea has successfully proved that galangal extract significantly lowers cholesterol and Triglyceride.
11. Preventing Heart Disease and Cardiovascular problem
Galangal consumption effectively reduces the cardiac contractions and cardiac output by raising the blood supply to the gastrointestinal system. In traditional ayurvedic medications, Galangal is often used as a drug against heart disease. In German-speaking countries such as Austria, Germany and also in Switzerland galangal is used as a home remedy for heart conditions.
12. Relieves Asthma
In maintaining a healthy respiratory system Galangal can play an important role. Galangal an antispasmodic effect and reduces the sputum and successfully dilates the bronchioles. It is also recommended as a cure for speech defects such as stammering, aphasia, and dysarthria.
13. Reduce urine disorders
Galangal can reduce the ability of urine production. This can be used as a treatment for polyuria and various other urine disorders.
14. Increases AppetiteYou can prefer Galangal over other medications to increase the appetite of your child. You can simply add it in your meal and it will be more tempting to be eaten.
15. For impotencyIn South-East Asian countries, it is recommended to use Galangal in the treatment of menstrual disorders. In traditional medications, it is advised to put a slice of Galangal in your mouth as it will promote the sexual desires. In Arabian countries, Galangal is famous as a natural aphrodisiac.
Galangal/Kulanjan Benefits for skin
1. Anti-Acne:Galangal is a powerful cleanser and a great antiseptic. It will help you to keep the skin clean, clear, smooth and blemish free naturally. It works great against acne and prevents skin infections too. It gets rid of the bacteria from the skin and prevent the eruption of acne.
2. Anti- Aging:Apart from the medicinal values of galangal, you will be surprised that Galangal has a positive effect in controlling the aging of the human skin. It consists of 40 important antioxidants and hence Galangal is also widely used for skin care.
3. Detoxifier:Galangal juice is equally recommended to be applied topically. Its application helps in the treatment of various skin diseases. This herb successfully removes the toxins and improves the blood circulation. The antioxidants present in it prevent the damaging of the skin.
4. Heals Skin Burns:If you are looking for a home remedy for skin burns then we will recommend Galangal juice as a great healing medicine. Topical application of Galangal juice on the burnt skin provides instant relief from pain and also helps to heal. Rubbing fresh slices of galangal on the skin 2 to 3 times daily helps in reducing the scars.
Galangal/Kulanjan Benefits for Hair
1. Remedy for dry and brittle hairGalangal contains zinc, phosphorous and vitamins which are necessary to have bouncy and shiny hair.
2. Counters Hair LossExcessive hair fall is always a matter of serious concern. Galangal is one of the best remedies for countering the problems related to hair loss. Galangal extracts will provide you stronger hair and will a nice fragrance.
3. Anti- DandruffDandruff is a very common problem and the antiseptic properties of galangal will definitely help in getting rid of it. To finish the problem of dandruff we will advise the application of oil extracted from galangal on your scalp. You can also choose to apply a mix of freshly grated galangal with olive oil or sesame oil. You can also choose add some lemon juice to this concoction and apply it to your scalp to get rid of dandruff.
4. Hair TreatmentGalangal is a right herb for your hair. Necessary treatment of hair and scalp can be conducted by using fresh galangals. These are considered as an effective Ayurvedic medicine for the treatment of hair and scalp related diseases.
5. Promotes hair growthTo achieve natural and healthy hair growth we will advise the application of Galangal on the scalp. It improves the blood circulation and promotes hair growth. Galangal contains important fatty acids which are great for thin hair.
6. Treats Split endsOne can use the extracts of galangal for the treatment of split ends. Split ends occur when the hair is exposed to pollution, excess heat and other forms of damage.
Galangal is often misunderstood as regular ginger due to its shape and size. But the properties and health benefits of both has a big difference. Galangal is considered as a cure for different health, hair and skin problems but it has certain side effects too. It can be a reason of skin allergy so handle its applications if you are having a sensitive skin. It stimulates the secretion of gastric acid hence people with ulcers should avoid it.