The richest sources of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids and known for various health benefits the Flax seeds are full of wonder. In Hindi, these seeds are known to us by the name of “Alsi” and are one of the oldest crops in the world.
A fun fact flax seeds are number one source of lignans in human diets. In comparison to sesame seeds, this amount is about 7 times. Its consumption can improve digestion, fight cancer, lower cholesterol, balance hormones, give you clear skin and also promote weight loss… and the list doesn’t end here. These seeds are a rich source of a plant-based omega-3 fatty acid, also known as alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). We have a lot more to share about it.
In English it is called as Flax Seeds, it is commonly known as Alasi in Hindi, in Tamil they call it Ali Virai, in Telugu it is known as Avisi Ginjalu, in Kannada it is known as Narina Beeja.
Flax Seeds/Alsi/Linseeds Benefits for Health
1. Reduces High CholesterolAccording to a research, eating flax seeds daily can significantly reduce the cholesterol level. These Flax seeds contain fiber, omega 3 fatty acids and lignan all these compounds work together to reduce cholesterol.
2. Source of Phytochemicals and AntioxidantsFlax seeds best source of lignan which is an estrogen-like compound that consumes free radicals in the body. Lignans promote fertility and also reduce the chances of the perimenopausal syndrome and breast cancer.
3. Diabetes ControlsAccording to different studies, it is found that regular consumption of lignan-rich foods by improving insulin sensitivity stabilizes the blood sugar levels.
4. Prevents CancerStudies have shown that Flax Seeds/Alsi/Linseeds consumption lower the risk of developing prostate, colon and breast cancer too. The lignans prevent the tumors from forming new blood cells. Flax seeds contain ALA which is an omega 3 fatty acid responsible for inhibition of tumor incidence. For patients having breast cancer, these seeds are highly recommended.
5. Fights InflammationThe deficiency of omega-3 fatty acids is one of the reasons of inflammation. The Omega 3 fatty acid aids in fighting against inflammation. Flax seeds intake increases the production of two omega 3 fatty acids- docosapentaenoic acid (DPA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). These fatty acids further contribute to health.
6. Prevents Cardiovascular DiseasesThe consumption of flax seeds can significantly lower high blood pressure as the amino and omega 3 fatty acids present in these seeds will help you. A flax seed rich diet also prevents the hardening of arteries. The alpha linolenic acid present in these flax seeds protects the human blood vessels from inflammatory damage.
7. Improves Digestive HealthBoth soluble and insoluble fibers are present in the flax seeds. These fibers improve the movement of food through the intestines and lead to healthy and proper digestion.
8. Reduces Hot FlashesAccording to a study, consuming 2 tablespoons of flax seeds could reduce the number of hot flashes by half in women. In the management of premenopausal and post- menopausal symptoms Flax seeds are highly beneficial.
9. Loaded with FiberFlaxseeds are loaded with both soluble and insoluble fiber. The high fiber content of fiber in Flaxseeds helps in reducing cholesterol and also helps in lowering the blood sugar levels. This fiber helps in proper functioning of the intestines. These seeds are also known to prevent and treat certain types of cancer. It helps in reducing breast cancer, hot flashes, and prostate cancer.
These seeds are rich in vitamin B, magnesium, and manganese, which are needed by the body for proper functioning.
11. Menopausal SymptomsAs per research flax seeds has the same ability as hormone replacement therapy (HRT) in menopause treatment for mild menopausal problems like hot flashes, mood disturbances, and vaginal dryness. Flaxseeds are loaded with alpha-linolenic acid, fiber, and lignans. The phytoestrogenic properties present in lignans, help in influencing hormonal responses in your body. These properties are similar to that of estrogen in your body. This helps women who are going through menopause and do not have adequate levels of estrogen.
12. ImmunityFlaxseed oil is rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. The omega-3 and lignans present in flax seeds work to improve immunity of the body and fight alien substances.
13. ConstipationFor ages Flaxseeds and flaxseed oil have been used as natural laxatives and work to give you relief from constipation without any harmful side effects.
Flax Seeds/Alsi/Linseeds Benefits for Skin
1. Skin Friendly NutrientsFlax Seeds/Alsi/Linseeds and its oil is an important source of skin-friendly nutrients. These nutrients are must required if you are willing to improve the health of the skin. Flax seed oil contains several important properties and hence one of the important ingredients of skin care products such as moisturizers, shower gels, Scrub the and sunscreen.
2. Source of LignansFlax Seeds/Alsi/Linseeds contain lignans and omega 3 fatty acids in an ample amount. These compounds are responsible for proper bowel movements and prevent skin diseases. For the proper growth and development of the skin cells, the Omega 3 fatty acids are extremely important.
3. Heals SkinTo increase the speed of healing of wounds omega 3 fatty acids in flax seeds are the best option to go for. High anti-inflammatory properties present in flax seeds further supports fast healing. By regularly consuming flax seeds one can successfully minimize skin rashes, inflammation, irritation and redness.
4. For hydrated and moisturized SkinHates dry skin? Don’t worry now you can deal with this situation without spending a hefty amount on cosmetics. Try Flax seeds and feel the hydrated and moisturized as the regular consumption of flax seeds increases natural oil production in the body. It also locks the moisture and prevents skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema and other signs of aging. The essential fatty acids in flax seed keep the skin. Regular massage with flax seed oil prevents irritants from entering the pores.
5. Prevents Skin CancerFlax seeds consumption is great for the prevention cancer, studies have shown that a diet rich in flax seeds can protect the skin tissues from radiation. It is found by researchers that flax seeds help significantly in reducing the skin damage due to sun exposure. Flax seeds contain antioxidants which attack the free radicals hence prevent skin cancer.
6. Controls AcneFlax seeds regulate the production of sebum which is an oily substance mainly produced by the skin glands. Hence you can prevent the onset of acne by consuming or application of Flax seeds. For best results have 1 to 2 tablespoons of milled flax seed daily.
7. Natural ScrubYou can prepare a natural scrub at home from flax seeds to exfoliate the skin. Just take some flax seed powder and Mix well with Dahi (or yogurt) and honey. Scrub your skin gently with the prepared mix for at least 10 minutes and then wash off. This scrub will effectively remove the dead skin cells and also rejuvenate them for a silky smooth skin.
Flax Seeds/Alsi/Linseeds Benefits for Hair
1. For vibrant and strong HairFlax seeds contain nutrients which are required for the growth of your hair. Nutrients like zinc, magnesium, protein, calcium, iron and omega 3 fatty acids are present in ample amount. A daily dose of Flax seeds is recommended if you want healthy, vibrant and strong hair.
2. Prevents Dry and Brittle hairFlax seeds are best known as an important source of omega 3 fatty acids. Its deficiency can cause dry and brittle hair. Have flax seeds to achieve healthy hair in no time.
3. Prevents permanent hair lossFlax seeds prevent cicatricial alopecia which is a permanent hair loss condition. It is only because of the anti-inflammatory properties of Flax seeds.
4. Prevents Male BaldnessFlax Seeds/Alsi/Linseeds are best preferred natural remedies to treat male baldness. It contains alpha linolenic acid which inhibits 5 alpha reductase which is an enzyme responsible for the conversion of testosterone into Dihydrotestosterone(DHT). DHT is the main cause of male baldness.
5. Prevents Hair BreakageFlax seeds are loaded with high amount of omega 3 fatty acids. Hence flax seeds are great to increase the elasticity of your hair and to prevent hair breakage. It further results in stronger hair.
6. Anti-Dandruff TreatmentFlax seeds contain important anti-inflammatory properties which make its application more suitable to prevent the possibility of dandruff and other scalp related conditions. Flax seed effectively stimulates the production of sebum preventing flaking and dandruff.
The Flax seeds are available in two variants i.e. brown and golden. Both the varieties are almost same in nutritional profile. Flax seeds are a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. B complex, manganese, and magnesium are also present in these tiny seeds. These are highly recommended whether you are a diabetic or willing to lose the excess weight.