The salt has different color and texture because of the presence of certain impurities. It is manufactured in small quantity because the availability of the purest form of rock salt is very less when we compare it to the regular crystallized table salt. Rock salt is more granular with large chunky crystals in appearance, has less salty taste and is not chemically processed. It is mostly used in making ice creams as it lowers the freezing point when packed with ice in the ice cream maker, thus making the ice cream colder. It is commonly used for seasoning and preservation.
It is a healthier substitute for table salt because of non-presence of chemicals and a rich source of minerals essential for the human body.
Rock salt/Sendha Namak/Kala namak/Intuppu Benefits for Health
1.Source Of Essential mineralsWe mentioned it earlier that rock salt is devoid of environmental pollutants and certain chemical components. It contains traces elements like zinc, potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, copper and so on which are essential for human health and development. It is available in drug stores, groceries store and pharmacies in the form of pill supplement, powder or even as a liquid extract in many types of health beverages.
2. Home remedy for various AilmentsIf you are not having Rock salt in your Kitchen then we will advise you to get some right now. This salt can be used as an important home remedy for curing various types of ailments and disorders such as herpes and rheumatic pain, irritation, and inflammation from insect bites.
3. De- worming ActionIf your child has a complaint of having stomach worms then we have a remedy for you. Try having Kala Namak along with fresh lemon juice as this can help you with the issue of stomach worms. It home remedy also provides relief against influenza and vomiting.
4. Against Respiratory DisordersRock Salt is highly beneficial for you if you are suffering from respiratory problems and sinus. Necessary relief can be achieved from throat swelling, dry cough, throat pain, and tonsils simply by gargling with rock salt. For patients suffering from bronchitis, asthma or other ear and nose discomforts it is advised to go for a facial steam of brine solution prepared from rock salt.
5. Good for KidneysIf you are having health issues like arthritis, rheumatism, kidney disorders and bladder stones then rock salt will be helpful. Having brine made with rock salt with a glass of spring water can provide relief from these disorders. Poultice made using this brine can be used for the treatment of wounds, acne or pain caused by gout or arthritis.
6. Dental & Oral CareKala Namak can be used as a homemade mouth freshener or teeth whitener. Gargling with Kala Namak mixed in lukewarm water provides relief against a sore throat and is great for gums.
7. Good for Digestive SystemThe addition of black salt in your meal aids in digestion. Rock salt is usually prescribed for digestive and laxative disorders. If you are dealing with a loss of appetite, gas and heartburn issues then this variant of salt can definitely do the wonder for you.
8. Eases stress and body painsYou can have an amazing bathing experience by using Rock salt. Just mix a spoon of Sendha Namak in your bathtub to have a relaxing bath. Bathing in such water combats water retention, regulates sleep, detoxifies your body, soothes sore muscles, and also lowers your blood pressure.
9. Muscle crampsIf you are experiencing muscle cramps and looking for a home remedy then try this one. Take a glass of water and mix a spoon of rock salt. Then sip it to get relief within a few minutes.
10. For Healthy immune systemAs mentioned earlier the Rock salt contains traces of all essential elements and it greatly improves the immune system. It also improves the nervous, circulatory and respiratory systems of the human body to a significant extent.
11. pH BalanceConsumption of rock salt or kala namak facilitates the cellular absorption of minerals in your body. In the replenishment of electrolytes and maintenance of the pH balance, this salt plays an important role. It helps in the removal of toxic minerals by stimulating blood circulation and mineral balance in the body.
12. Stabilizes blood pressureKala namak helps in stabilization of blood pressure in the human circulatory system by maintaining a proper balance of high and low blood pressures in the various parts of the body.
13. Aids Weight lossIf you are planning to lose some weight then Kala Namak will help you. This variant of NaCl aids in weight loss by equalizing minerals. This further leads to inhibition of cravings and elimination of fat dead cells.
14. Aids DigestionConsuming Rock salt helps in the process of digestion by maintaining the flow of digestive and salivary juices. Just have a lassi by adding a pinch of rock salt with a few shredded mint leaves.
15. Strengthens the bonesConsumption of Rock salt in your meal is good for your bones too. It helps in strengthening of bones and the connective tissues.
Rock salt/Sendha Namak/Kala namak/Intuppu Benefits for skin
1. Excellent Skin Cleansing propertiesDue to the excellent cleansing properties, the grains of Black Salt can cleanse your skin pores easily. It is the best alternative to soap or face wash and makes your skin breathe easily.
2. Cures skin enlargementDrink fresh juice of a lemon mixed with ginger and Rock salt in the morning and evening on a daily basis. This remedy will help you in the curing of skin enlargement.
3. For Youthful and Glowing skinRock salt prevents accumulation of dead skin cells by exfoliating the dead skin cells. These dead cells are responsible for causing a dull, rough and aged skin.
4. For clean and refreshed skinRock salt strengthens the skin tissue and makes you look younger and firm. Massaging your skin with a scrub prepared from Rock Salt exfoliates and refines your skin.
5. Body ScrubRock salt is rich in minerals and can be used as a body scrub. This can be a perfect substitute of spa standard products and can be easily prepared at home.
6. Natural Skin ExfoliatorThe main reason for rough, dull and aged appearance of your skin is the accumulation of dead skin cells. Rock salt works amazingly to exfoliate the dead skin cells and protects the tender layer of your skin, giving you a youthful and glowing skin.
7. Improves blood circulationHaving a rock salt water bath helps your body absorb the minerals and nutrients present in the salt to be delivered to your cells in the form of ions. This works to improve the appearance of your skin by increasing blood circulation.
8. Foot ScrubRock Salt does not dry your skin, and hence works amazingly for foot soak, foot scrub or a hand scrub.
9. Rock Salt for NailsRock salt works amazingly in getting rid of the yellowness under your nails, thus making them shine beautifully.
Rock salt/Sendha Namak/Kala namak/Intuppu Benefits for hair
1. An ingredient in shampoos and hair treatmentsDue cleansing and exfoliating properties of rock salt, it is considered as an important ingredient in shampoos and hair products.
2. Hair cleanserRock Salt is well known for its excellent cleansing properties. Application of this salt helps in removal of dead skin cells and dirt without stripping off natural oil from the scalp. Prepare a mix of salt and shampoo. Apply this mix to wash your hair and rinse with cold water.
3. For Healthy HairTo achieve healthy and long hair mix equal parts of rock salt and your conditioner. Apply this prepared mix on your hair and gently wash off after 25-30 minutes.
Rock Salt is best for human consumption as it not only adds taste to your food but also has a number of skin, hair and health benefits. As the excess of everything is bad, the overconsumption of rock salt is not good for your health as it may increase the blood pressure of your body.