Kiwi Fruit - How to select and store ?
India 23 October 2016: August to November is the season when you get the Kiwifruit. Kiwi Fruit is a small exotic fruit which has a 3 inch diameter. A kiwi fruit averagely weighs around 4 ounces. The flesh of the kiwi fruit is a creamy in consistency and has tiny black edible seeds which are rich in fiber.
How to select Kiwi fruits
- Always select kiwifruit which are firm and have a rough and fuzzy outer skin.
- Put a little pressure and press the skin of kiwi fruit lightly to check for its ripeness.
- Do not select kiwi fruits which do not press on applying a gentle pressure as these fruits are not ripe yet.
- If the fruit gets completely pressed under gentle pressure then that fruit is over ripened, avoid selecting such fruits.
- If the fruit has blemishes, gashes or cuts, do not purchase them.
How to store kiwi fruits
- To ripen an unripe kiwi place it with a banana to ripen it completely.
- Kiwi fruits which are slightly unripe can be stored at room temperature for a maximum of 5 days.
- If you have bought ripe kiwi fruits, you can store them in a refrigerator by wrapping it in a plastic bag to prevent moisture loss.
- You can freeze and store your kiwifruit by peeling and covering them with sugar syrup mixed with ascorbic acid. In a freezer you can store the kiwi fruit for as long as 8 months.
- You can use a spoon to scoop out the flesh from the kiwi fruit. You can also use a egg slicer to slice the kiwi fruit after peeling it.
- Always rinse the kiwi before eating the fruit.
- You will be surprised to know that even the skin of the kiwi fruit is edible and is loaded with nutrients and fiber.
- It’s always recommended to eat the Kiwi fruit immediately when they are ripe as these fruits tend to get very soft if kept out for a longer time.
- If you plan to add kiwi to fruit salads, then make sure to add it only before serving to prevent other fruits in the fruit salad from becoming too soggy.