India 30 October 2016: Today we are sharing a very tasty Diwali savoury that is corn flakes chivda which can be easily made at home in no time. Seriously this recipe of Corn flakes chivda hardly took me 5 minutes to prepare. It’s a very simple recipe and anyone can make it without any hassle. This corn flakes chivda is a fried savoury made by mixing ingredients like dry fruits, spices and corn flakes.
To make this Corn flake chivda instantly i have used ready to eat Kellogg corn flakes. You can also use dried yellow colored corn flakes which are easily available in any grocery store. They are also called as corn poha or makai poha. These corn poha are not like the Kelloggs ready to eat cereal corn flakes. If you plan to use those you will have to deep fry them first to make the corn flakes chivda.
This is a common sweet and savory chiwda made in many indian households during Diwali. Always use a fine sieve ladle to make any types of chivda specially the corn flakes chivda as they are very helpful for frying small pieces or flakes.
The cooking process for making this corn flakes chivda needs to be planned before you start cooking, as you will be needed to fry everything one after the other. So it’s very important to keep all the ingredients needed for the chivda ready with you.
This makai chivda is mostly served as a snack during diwali with other sweet and namkeen savouries.
cornflakes chivda recipe I makai chivda recipe
corn flakes chivda recipe details below:
cornflakes or makai chivda is a crisp, crunchy, sweet & savory fried mixture made by mixing corn flakes, dry fruits and spices.
ingredients for corn flakes or makai chivda2 cups dried corn flakes/makai poha or you can use ready to eat corn flakes
½ cup peanuts
½ cup cashews
2 to 3 tbsp roasted chana dal
3 tbsp raisins
8 to 10 curry leaves/kadi patta
1/2 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
salt as required
oil for deep frying
how to make the recipe for corn flakes or makai chivda
- Measure and keep all required ingredients ready in different bowls.
- Now heat oil in a kadai. To it add the corn flakes and fry them till they expand, become golden & crisp, make sure you don't brown the corn flakes. Fry all the corn flakes in batches and place them on a plate with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Once you are done with frying the corn flakes it’s time to fry the peanuts in the same way till they are crisp and crunchy. Place the peanuts also on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- After the peanuts fry the cashews in the similar way, till golden.
- Next fry the raisins till they become plump & swell.
- Now in the same way fry the curry leaves for a few seconds and place them a side.
- Now take a big vessel and add all the fried ingredients in it and mix well. To this mixture add turmeric powder, powdered sugar, red chili powder and salt and mix every thing well.
- While mixing take care not to break the corn flakes.
- Check for taste and adjust the spices, salt and sugar if need be.
- Keep the chivda aside and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Once the Corn flakes / makai chivda is at room temperature, You can serve it or store it in an airtight container.
- Serve this amazing corn flakes / Makai chivda as a tea time snack for your guests this Diwali.